Monday, September 29, 2014

On the Road to Recovery

Finally, after 3 weeks and what has seemed like hundreds of tests, the doctor's are finally moving forward towards a diagnosis and a treatment plan. 

Neurosarcoidosis. Try and say that 3 times fast. Hell, just try and pronounce it. I first heard of the medical term about a few days ago, you're probably hearing it for the first time. Once you're able to get past the pronunciation, the connotation of the word gives you that feeling that it's got to be some sort of serious medical condition. Well, given the reason as to why you're here reading this, you already know the seriousness of the issue. To put it into Layman's terms, its a rare and complex infection, basically an inflammation in the body's tissues that effects the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). That's as far as I'm going to try and explain it, I'll let the doctor's and Wikipedia do the rest. 

Of course the first question most of you might have been asking is, "What could have caused this?" Honestly, we don't know. Nobody knows. This could have been something that was festering in Billy's body for years and it just got to the point where it flared up and started to effect his brain and body, but it's now a moot question at this stage of the journey. 

Now that the doctor's have pretty much diagnosed Billy, the question we're all now asking is, "Where do we go from here?" I am under the belief that the doctor's will still be treating this with continual doses of steroids to keep the inflammation of Billy's brain at bay, as well as getting Billy stronger. The brain swelling may take a while to subside before they replace the part of Billy's skull that had to be removed, but the first part of treatment-aside from the medication-is releasing Billy from the hospital and getting him to rehab for some physical, mental, & speech therapy. The good news is, the release and therapy will look to be commencing sometime this week or next. 

Given the fact that Billy underwent serious brain surgery less than 9 days ago, he is making significant progress and the doctor's are pleased with his results thus far. We all know that Billy is a fighter and will face this long road to recovery head on. I know from just seeing him that he is trying to do things on his own, albeit some against doctor's orders, but deep down I know he's just trying to feel normal again, trying to get back to the way things were. (To put into some sort of context, imagine being a professional athlete one month and then having to have people help you walk the next. Not a pleasant thought by any means.) I know from being his brother that the tough part of this ordeal won't be his fight against the infection, it'll be about his patience during the rehabilitation process. (We McGlone's aren't necessarily known to be patient. The Irish in us, I guess). But regardless of the impending road to recovery, I know Bill will get through it no matter how long it takes. 

So again, that's as much as I know. I got all this information from my father who was with him today. The continual love and support Billy and my family have been receiving has been enough to keep us all upbeat and positive. Everybody has been so willing to offer their time, their services, their prayers, their love...we can't thank you enough. In time, and with Bill on his way to a complete recovery, I hope we will all be able to get together and share that love with Billy so he can see first hand all of the love and support he has in his corner. It has truly been inspiring and I'm still in awe of it all. 

Lastly, for all of those who sent me texts, calls, and well wishes in regards to Billy, I just want to let you know that I've gotten each and every one. I promised myself that I will do my best to respond to them all; you all deserve a personal thank you for not only being there when Bill needed it, but when I needed it too. Til next time. -JM

(P.S. I know a lot have been asking about where to send cards, gifts, letters, etc. I will get together with my parents and see if they are willing to display their address or an address of where to send everything to. Thanks again.)

(An oldie but goodie)










1 comment:

  1. Great to hear he is moving in the right direction...he will keep getting better and fighting. -H

    ReplyDelete